The Historic Green Street Church Museum

Help Move and Save Englewood’s Iconic First Church!

(See Historic Timeline below.) 

The Lemon Bay Historical Society purchased the building in May, 1988 and began the slow process of restoring the building and returning it to its original 1920s design, including replacing the bell tower.  Through the generosity of the community including L.A. Ainger, Dorothy Cannon, J.D. “Jack” Tate, and the Helen Vanderbilt Trust, restoration of the interior was completed and on March 21, 1998 the first wedding in the restored church museum was held.

Although the Lemon Bay Historical Society owns this historic church, the land under the building has to be rented. The “99 year lease” has to be renewed every 10 years and the current 10-year period will end in May, 2018. Parking space has always been a problem. The Society offered to buy the land but the owner would prefer to continue to lease it and who knows what the situation will be 10 years from now.

In order to save this historic building, to ensure problem-free parking and to avoid lease issues in the future, the Historical Society has elected to move the building to a lot it will own on the south side of the Lemon Bay Cemetery. Your help is needed to raise funds to provide a “forever home” for the Lemon Bay Historical Society and for this iconic community building. We are pleased to announce that already local businesses are donating money, time and materials to help move and save the building. Your support will be greatly appreciated; no amount is too small or too large.  

 

Mail your tax-deductible donation to:

Lemon Bay Historical Society
P. O. Box 1245
Englewood FL 34293

PRINTABLE FORM TO BECOME A MEMBER AND/OR DONATE TO THE CHURCH PROJECT

Thank you!

We are a 100% volunteer charitable not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) corporation. Our ID number is CH49480. A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.

The church museum is a designated Sarasota County Historical Building.

The Historic Church Museum is available to rent for weddings and other events.
For info, contact Terry Zic
PHONE: 941-740-4510
EMAIL: TerryZ12@comcast.net

 


Historic Green Street Church Timeline

1905 – Englewood Methodists began holding Sunday School classes in Josie Quimby Miller’s home.

1914 – The church officially organized with 29 people and services were held in the school house on Old Englewood Road and led by visiting preachers.

1921 – The school house burned down and services moved to the Lemon Bay Woman’s Club.

April 5, 1928 – Under the direction of Burt Anger and Pat Lampp the group was able to build a simple frame structure on two lots on Magnolia Street donated by Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Lampp and the Florida Methodist Conference Board of Missions. Built by ship builders, the new church cost $1,250.

1929 – When the Florida Land Boom collapsed, Englewood was hard hit. The church struggled. Lottie Lampp (Stanley’s niece) is credited with holding the small congregation together. Lottie Lampp:

— cleaned the church

— provided flowers from her garden for services

— played the piano when needed

— sold flowers and baked goods on Dearborn to raise $5 to pay the minister

— arranged for a Baptist minister and cornetist from Venice, Roy Gustafson, to call the worshippers together. 

It was the sound of the minister’s cornet that brought fishing parties in from the bay to attend church.

1952 – The congregation was financially strong enough to support a permanent pastor, the Rev. Edgar E. Stauffer, at an annual salary of $2,500.

1953 – The congregation enlarged the facilities and replaced the original slat benches with pews. A widened front door that could accommodate a casket enabled the church to be used for funeral services.

Church With Two Separate Front Doors (Before Opening Was Widened)

1958 – The bell tower was removed when a new facade was added to the front, complete with ornamental columns.

1962 – The growing congregation broke ground for a new larger sanctuary next door. The original building was moved to the western side of the property and turned to face Green Street. It was redesigned and named the Lampp Youth Center in recognition of the contributions made to the church by the Lampp family.

1979 – The Methodists needed an even larger church and moved 2 miles out to their current location on the corner of Pine and Dearborn. The 1962 Magnolia Street and the 1928 Green Street buildings were purchased by The Church of the Nazarene.

Historical Society’s Bill Davis with the Church Prior to Renovation

1988 – When renovation plans were announced, the Lemon Bay Historical Society became concerned that such work might threaten the historical integrity of the building. After some negotiations, the Church of the Nazarene transferred ownership of the building to the Society but with a 99-year lease on the land under the church, renewable every 10 years.

Historical Society Folks Repairing the Roof

The Historical Society then began the slow process of restoring the building and returning it to its original 1920s design, including replacing the bell tower.

1997 – Through the generosity of area pioneers L.A. Anger, Dorothy Cannon, J.D. “Jack” Tate, and the Helen Vanderbilt Trust, who each contributed enough to match a State grant for $19,400, restoration of the interior began.

1998 – The Historical Society received a certificate of occupancy from Sarasota County and on March 21, the first wedding in the restored church museum was held.

2005 – The church was recognized by the Sarasota County Register of Historic Places. 

 




In 2014 the Englewood Methodist Church (founded in 1914) celebrated 100 years:


The Church Museum is available to rent for weddings and other events.
For info, contact Terry Zic
PHONE: 941-740-4510
EMAIL: TerryZ12@comcast.net

One of 5 different historic Gift Cards by Lise Yust. Purchase a pack of 5 for $5 at our events.


TEXT FROM THE SARASOTA COUNTY HISTORIC MARKER:

Green Street Church and Museum

​416 W. Green Street, Englewood, FL

The Green Street Church Museum began as Englewood’s first church building. Community Methodists began holding Sunday School classes in Josie Quimby Miller’s home around 1905. After the church officially organized in 1914, services were held in temporary locations and were led by visiting preachers.

With funding from a variety of sources, including Stanley Lampp and the Florida Methodist Conference Board of Missions, the group was able to build a simple frame structure without incurring any debt. The members first worshipped in their Magnolia Street church home on April 5, 1928.

When the 1920s Land Boom collapsed, Englewood was hard hit. The church struggled. Lottie Lampp (Stanley’s niece) is credited with holding the small congregation together. She cleaned the church, provided flowers from her garden for services, and played the piano when needed. Through her efforts a Baptist minister and cornetist from Venice, Roy Gustafson, called the worshippers together. The sound of the cornet brought fishing parties in from the bay. Women held bake sales to raise the $5 to pay the minister.

By 1952 the congregation was financially strong enough to support a permanent pastor, the Rev. Edgar E. Stauffer, at an annual salary of $2,500. The following year the congregation enlarged the facilities and replaced the original slat benches with pews. A widened front door that could accommodate a casket enabled the church to be used for funeral services.

The congregation broke ground for a new sanctuary in 1962 and the original building was moved to the western side of the property and turned to face Green Street. It was redesigned and named the Lampp Youth Center in recognition of the contributions made to the church by the Lampp family. In 1979 the Methodists moved to a new location.

The Church of the Nazarene purchased the Green Street church in 1979. When renovation plans were announced, the Lemon Bay Historical Society became concerned that such work might threaten the historical integrity of the building. After some negotiations, the Church of the Nazarene gave the building to the Historical Society with a 99-year lease on the land for $1 per year. Upon completion of needed restoration work in 1992, the Society turned the church into a museum.

Dedicated in 2005 by the Sarasota County Historical Commission.